Saturday, June 7, 2008

thoughts of the evening

This week I acted like a 12 year old at the pool. Logan won a free membership to a swanky gym...one with a kid slide that's awesome. We played on that until the little kids came. Then we exercised and danced the day away. I worked a little on Logan's site. I yardsailed this morning. I spent too much at the mall on Tuesday. And the world lost an awesome light on Wednesday.

This past Wednesday at 8am, an amazing person who worked at Mckinney was killed by a driver who swerved onto the biker's side to miss hitting a dear. (I wonder if I would have done the same thing if it were me). I only had the honor of knowing him for 10 weeks - my internship - but I learned so much from him. A little about how to do cool things on the internet, but also that there's more to life than computers, work and the daily 9-5.

Rock on Clive. Rock on.

I went to Mckinney on Friday to pay my respects and to get my book ripped apart by my Mckinney mentors. I agreed with pretty much everything they said. One thing I had a hard time agreeing with - and I'd love to throw this subject out for debate - is that I shouldn't be telling recruiters and headhunters that I'm getting married. That I should be telling you - John Q hiring person - that I would change my life around for your job and that you don't care about me, you just want to see my work.

ya...here's the truth. I love advertising. I have companies that I dream of working for, but I won't cancel my wedding for any of them. I won't sacrifice my marriage, my vacations, etc...just so I can sell a product.

And I'm nice. I like to talk and have conversations. I like to tell you about me, and I want to know things about you. Become friends even. Not fake ones that are only made for the purpose of getting a job.

Now, don't misjudge. I'm not lazy. And I'll work weekends and do what it takes to get the job done. Want tangible proof - I've won awards. More importantly, I've failed and have learned from my mistakes. But I will never sell my soul to the ad world. And if you don't like that - don't hire me. I know there are agencies out there who feel that same way I do.


final thought :) Today I got to veg out with close friends (and newer ones) We played at the pool and just watched TV. It felt so good to be normal again.

Hi Slate.
Hi Lesley.